2006 Azienda Agricola Alberese – Barbicato – Morellino di Scansano DOC

A few days ago I got my hands on a bottle of the 2006 Morellino di Scansano DOC from Azienda Agricola Alberese. The wine is produced in Maremma area of Tuscany, Italy.
Newer vintages of the same wine are classified as Morellino di Scansano DOCG. Azienda Agricola Alberese is a state-owned winery of Tuscany. The winery manufactures six wines and produces also olive oil extra vergine.

Barbicato has a bouquet of 85% Sangiovese and the remaining 15% are a mix of other allowed grapes for Morellino di Scansano grapes. The label does not specify what kind of grapes these are. All grapes come from organic agriculture. Barbicato ages 12 months in french oak. The does not get filtered. It ages additional six months in the bottle.

I had this wine together with a friend who works as sommelier. He recommended not to decant the wine with a decanter. Instead he recommend that we simply open the bottle and give the wine air for around 2 hours (the wine remained in the bottle). I followed his advice.

Barbicato has an intense ruby red color with purple reflexes. The nose might have been this wine’s weak spot. It was not as intense as I expected it to be. I found mostly aromas of ripe cherries and spices but they really could have been a little bit intenser.

The bottle has a label listed alcohol by volume of 14.5% but on the palate I tasted none of that. I never like it when the alcohol is present on the palate. Barbicato was instead dry, a bit tannic and harmonic on the palate. I tasted lots of dark chocolate and roasted coffee. The wine had a medium body and the finish was extremely long. Please note that the bottle image is from 2005 (2006 and 2007 look exactly the same though!)

Now the downside of the wine: 26.50€ is definitely too much for this wine. I red that the 2007 vintage won 2 glasses in the Gambero Rosso wine guide but that does not justify this price neither does the organic quality behind it. I enjoyed the wine a lot though. The palate made up for the less-intense aromas on the nose.

Will I buy the wine again? Yes if I find it cheaper. 20€ is probably the maximum I would pay for it in the future. I saw that the 2007 vintage for 19.50€ at some other place. Even though the price is kind of high I recommend the wine. What’s your experience with Morellino di Scansano wines? This one is a pretty good one compared to some other (cheaper) ones that I had in the past!

4 comments on “2006 Azienda Agricola Alberese – Barbicato – Morellino di Scansano DOC”

  1. wineking3 Reply

    i love the Maremma National Park. Been there two years ago. Fascinating landscape. Got to try some stunning wines as well!

  2. myweeklywine Reply

    Hi Julian. I am studying wine in South Africa, and we have started learning about wines of the world. I think your blog will be very useful to me – it is informative and detailed. I look forward to reading more…

    • vinibuoni Reply

      I’m sorry for the late reply – your comment was classified as “spam” so I did not see it until now! I’m very sorry about that.
      I’m happy that you enjoy my blog and that it helps you with your wine studying 🙂
      All the best for your studies!

  3. theducksong Reply

    I’ve just bought a bottle of Barbicato. Looking forward to try it in the near future 🙂

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.