Schiava, Lagrein and Gewürztraminer are among the most commonly associated grape varieties with South Tyrol but the region is also home to some astonishing white wines from international varieties like Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc. Tenute Loacker is one of the wineries that produces varietals out of these international varieties and in today’s wine review we will take a closer look at the 2011 Tenute Loacker Tasnim – a varietal Sauvignon Blanc.
In the late 1970s, the Loacker family purchased the Schwarhof estate in St. Justina, a small village just outside of the regional capital city Bolzano. Here in South Tyrol the family began making wine and switched early on to organic farming techniques. Some of the vineyards are located in the famous Eisack Valley. Locker grew steadily and so in the 1990s they expanded into Tuscany. First they purchased land in Montalcino and a few years later in the Maremma but those are stories for another day.
At the Schwarhof estate and the nearby vineyards Kollerhof and Kalter Keller, Loacker produces wine from both international and autochthonous grape varieties including Schiava, Pinot Nero, and Sauvignon Blanc. All three vineyards combined are about 11 hectares large.
The reds are all fermented in oak but not all of them age in barrique afterwards. The three white wines are all varietals and are partially fermented in and age in oak.
Tasting Notes: 2011 Tenute Loacker Tasnim
The label-listed alcohol by volume was 13.5% and the wine was bottled with a glass stopper. I personally prefer glass stoppers over screw caps even though they are more expensive to produce. And glass stoppers look much better!
Tasnim is produced with 100% Sauvignon Blanc, which is grown on sandy soils. 7% of the wine was fermented in oak, the remaining 93% in stainless steel vats. Its appellation is Alto Adige IGT, however, the wine used to be classified Alto Adige DOC in the past but Loacker switched to the less rigid IGT appellation a few years ago. The wine has quite an unusual name, which derives from the Quaran, which condemns the drinking of wine while on earth. In the Quaran, Tasnim (sometimes spelled Tasneem) is the spring of paradise. Quite an interesting name in my opinion.
Let’s get to the tasting notes, shall we?
In the glass, Tasnim had a green-yellow-ish color with golden hues. Beautiful nose with lots of fruit and some oaky aromas. Ripe apricots, elder flowers, acacia honey, a bit of litchi fruit and hints of rosemary. On the palate, Tasnim was dry and had a medium/full body. Perfectly-balanced acidity. Full of character, highly mineral and with aromas of herbs and ripe fruit. Spectacular, never-ending finish.
This is not your typical Sauvignon Blanc! And that’s what makes it outstanding! Pairs perfectly with Mediterranean fish dishes like seabass or gilt-head bream.
I’ve previously reviewed the 2011 Tasnim but this time the wine tasted even better! (Previously rated with 4/5 stars)
According to the Wine Searcher, Tasnim has an average price of €15, which seems quite low because the winery sells it for €16.60. In the UK, for instance, it can be purchased on Amazon for £22.75 – so I’m not sure how Wine Searcher came up with an average price of just €15.
Anyways, Tasnim is a wonderful wine and regular readers of Vino in Love know that Tenute Loacker is among my personal favorites. In my last 2011 Tasnim review I had suggested to consume the wine within four years but the wine might actually have a slightly longer aging potential. The last time I reviewed it was back in the August of 2013 and the wine has evolved quite a bit over those 15 months.
This concludes this 2011 Tenute Loacker Tasnim review. I’m curious what your thoughts on this Sauvignon Blanc are. Feel free to share them in the comment section below. Cheers!