Food & Wine Pairing: Grilled Shrimp 34

Food & Wine Pairing: Grilled Shrimp

There is no better way to enjoy summer than with delicious grilled shrimp paired with a fantastic white wine. That’s why A Pug In The Kitchen and Vino In Love teamed up for a food & wine pairing project. Suzanne, an amazing cook and the author of A Pug In The Kitchen,  came up with wonderful recipe for grilled shrimp scampi. You have to try them. Trust me!

Grilled shrimp

Makes: 4 servings

  • 12-18 fresh large shrimp peeled and deveined
  • 1 large garlic clove peeled
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp lemon zest
  • pinch of sea salt

Clean and devein your shrimp. Lay them on paper towels to dry (Its important that they be as dry as possible) I pat them dry then lay them on fresh dry paper towels for 15-30 minutes.

Peel your garlic clove and slice, place in mortar with a pinch of sea salt and smash it, add some of the olive oil and mix it up. Place shrimp either in bowl or ziplock bag, pour the garlic and oil from the mortar onto the shrimp, add the rest of the oil and the lemon zest. Refrigerate for 30 minutes Smoosh the bag around to make sure the shrimp are coated with the marinade.

Preparing the dish:

  • 4 tbs butter
  • 1 large clove garlic minced
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 1/4 tsp lemon zest
  • handful of flat leaf parsley chopped
  • splash of olive oil

Grilled Scampi Shrimp

Fire up the grill, while it’s heating remove the shrimp from the marinade and thread onto skewer. I like to put 6 shrimp to a skewer but it depends on their size. Keep the marinade you will use it to brush the shrimp while they are grilling. Baste the shrimp then grill 1-2 minutes turn skewer over brush with more marinade and grill another minute or two.  Before you start grilling the shrimp make your sauce, in small saucepan saute the garlic in a little olive oil. don’t let it brown just until its translucent. Add the lemon juice, zest and the 4 tbs of butter and cook for approximately 2 minutes or until butter is melted. Add the chopped parsley.

When shrimp are done arrange on a platter and spoon sauce over the grilled shrimp.

Wine Pairing

Grilled shrimp call for either a sparkling wine or a white wine. The wine we are looking for should be medium bodied and crisp. It’s very important that the wine has no or only little oak. I decided to pair the Shrimp scampi with a Sauvignon Blanc from South Tyrol but Trebbiano from Northern Italy (for example Lugana) would pair equally well. Why South Tyrolean Sauvignon Blanc? Italy’s Alto Adige region offers perfect growing conditions for Sauvignon Blanc and the sandy and limy soil give the wines great personality.

2011 Tenute Loacker - Tasnim - IGT Alto AdigeMy choice is the 2011 Tenute Loacker Tasnim. Regular readers of Vino in Love know that Loacker is one of my favorite wineries. Loacker has three estates – two in Tuscany and one in South Tyrol. Tasnim is produced with 100% Sauvignon Blanc grapes. 93% of the grapes are fermented in stainless steel vats and the remaining 7% are fermented in small French barriques. The grapes are fermented for around 6 weeks.

Tasnim ages in stainless steel tanks for around half a year and ages a few more weeks in the bottle before it gets sold. The wine has an aging potential of up to 4 years. Tasnim is classified as IGT Alto Adige. I remember that older vintages used to be classified as Alto Adige DOC. However, I am not sure why the wine’s appellation was changed.

Let’s find out why the Tasnim pairs excellent with grilled shrimp.

Tasting Notes 2011 Tenute Loacker Tasnim

In the glass, Tasnim has a beautiful green-yellow color with golden-yellow hues. The label listed alcohol by volume was 13.5%.

On the nose, the wine was rich and very intense. The bouquet was fruity and spicy with aromas of gooseberry, elder flower, litchi fruit, nutmeg, rosemary, myrtle and honey.

In the mouth, dry, fine, quite intense and very smooth. Tasnim had an elegant acidity and a high minerality. The wine was harmonic and was medium bodied.  Spectacular, lingering finish.

4 / 5 stars      

Parting Words

Tenute Loacker’s Tasnim is a very good Sauvignon Blanc and is recommended. It’s an excellent wine pairing for Suzanne’s grilled shrimp. A bottle of Tasnim retails in Munich for around 19€. As mentioned earlier, I would also recommend Trebbiano with this dish. If you prefer Trebbiano over Sauvignon Blanc then pair the grilled shrimp with this wine: 2012 Pratello Terre Bianche Lugana DOC.

Please let me know what you think about the dish and the wine in the comment section below! What wine would you pair with grilled shrimp?

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

34 thoughts on “Food & Wine Pairing: Grilled Shrimp