A few months ago, I started a new monthly theme: Mini-Reviews. I taste a bunch of wine each month that doesn’t get its own dedicated post but because I still want to share my tasting notes about them with you I came up with this new theme. These tasting notes are a little shorter than my regular ones. Each of them includes a Wine Searcher link that helps you find the wine (if available).
- 2010 Lisini – San Biagio – Rosso Toscana IGT (100% Sangiovese; stainless steel tank). Color: Ruby red. Nose: Quite intense with aromas of black cherry and blueberries. Palate: Dry, refreshing acidity, quite elegant. Tannins could have been a little smoother. Medium-long finish. Rating: 3.5/5 12€ find this wine.
- 2010 Riofavara – Notissimo – Moscato di Noto DOC (Moscato Bianco, Muscatella; stainless steel tank). Color: golden-yellow. Nose: Mostly aromas of honey and dates. Palate: Very sweet, little acidity, smooth. Rating: 3/5 20€ find this wine.
- 2009 Winzerhof Allacher – Allacher Eiswein Blaufränkisch – Prädikatswein (100% Blaufränkisch). Color: Garnet red with orange hues. Nose: harmonic and very intense. Aromas of honey, marzipan, peach. Palate: Sweet, well-balanced, creamy. Pleasing, mellow tannins. Lingering finish. Rating: 4.5/5. It appears that Winzerhof Allacher stopped producing this wine. They are now producing Eiswein from Zweigelt and Welschriesling.
2011 Reichsrat von Buhl – Riesling Sekt – Sekt B.A. Brut (100% Riesling; stainless steel tank). Color: pale golden color. Fine, long-lasting perlage. Nose: Citrus fruits, fresh bread, stone. Palate: crisp, high minerality, quite fruity. Long-lasting finish. Rating: 3/5 15€. find this wine.
- 2005 Gulfi – Nerobuffaleffj – Sicilia IGT (100% Nero d’Avola; French oak). Color: Ruby red. Nose: mostly juniper berry. Palate: dry, quite smooth, vivid. High minerality and heavy acidity. Mellow tannins. Medium length. Rating 3/5 29€ find this wine.
- NV Bollinger Special Cuvée Brut (60% Pinot Noir, 25% Chardonnay, 15% Pinot Meunier) Color: light gold. Long-lasting perlage Nose: Lemon, toast and almonds. Palate: Fresh, fine mousse, a little salty, medium body, smooth and quite persistent. Notes of pear and lime. Rating 4/5. 47€ find this wine.
The Winzerhof Allacher is my favorite among these wines and it’s also the most interesting wine. It was the first time that I tasted Eiswein from red grapes and I’m looking forward to do so again. If you’ve never tried Eiswein from red grapes then I strongly recommend that you try some. On the other side of the spectrum we have the Gulfi Nerobuffaleffj, which disappointed me a little probably because I had much higher expectations. Don’t get me wrong it’s a good Nero d’Avola but Gulfi makes also a few other varietal Nero d’Avola wines, which I personally like more.
What is your wine of the month?