Last month, I started a new monthly theme: Mini-Reviews. I taste a bunch of wine each month that doesn’t make it into a dedicated post but because I want to share my tasting notes about these wines with you I came up with this new theme. These tasting notes are a little shorter than my regular ones. Each of them includes a Wine Searcher link that helps you find the wine (if available).
- 2011 Planeta – Passito di Noto DOC (100% Moscato Bianco; stainless steel tank) Color: Intense amber-yellow. Nose: Mango, dried apricot, ginger, chestnut and orange. Palate: Creamy, elegant, vivid, intense and quite sweet. Lingering finish. Rating: 4/5 25€ find this wine.
- 2006 Aldo Conterno – Langhe DOC (80% Freisa, 10% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon; 6 months oak) Color: Ruby red. Nose: Strawberries, viola, tobacco. Palate: Very dry, full-bodied, strong tannins, decent acidity. Medium-long finish. Rating: 3/5 21€ find this wine.
- 2009 Ca Rossa – Mulassa – Barbera d’Alba DOC (100% Barbera; 18 months oak) Color: garnet red with ruby red shades. Nose: Plums, coffee and blackberries. Palate: dry, crisp, smooth, silky tannins. Long finish. Rating: 3.5/5 18€ find this wine.
- 2007 Tedeschi – Recioto della Valpolicella DOC (30% Corvina – 30% Corvinone – 30% Rondinella – 10% Rossignola; 24 months oak). Color: bright ruby red color with garnet hues. Nose: Intense with aromas of blackberries, raspberries, blackcurrant, coffee, caramel. Palate: Well-balanced, full-bodied. Very elegant. Great correspondence with the nose. Lingering finish. Rating: 4/5 40€ find this wine.
- 2012 Castello di Tassarolo – Spinola – Gavi DOCG (100% Cortese; stainless steel tank). Color: pale yellow. Nose:herbs, apple, hay, almonds, minerals. Palate: dry, bitter, mineralic, crisp, medium-short finish. Rating: 2.5/5 12€ find this wine.
- 2006 Caprili – Brunello di Montalcino Riserva DOCG (100% Sangiovese; 48 months oak) Color: ruby red with garnet red hues. Nose: closed, oaky, maybe spoiled? Palate: very dry, full-bodied, silky tannins, oak dominated the fruit. Rating: 3/5 53€ find this wine.
- 2012 Clemens Busch – Riesling Trocken – Qualitätswein Mosel (100% Riesling; stainless steel tank) Color: pale yellow. Nose: Quince, Saturn peach, apple, black tea,. Palate: very dry, crisp, elegant high minerality, lingering finish. Rating: 3.5/5 11€ find this wine.
2009 Château La Grolet – Tête de Cuvée – Côtes de Bourg AOC (Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon; 12 months oak). Color: deep ruby red. Nose: cinnamon, black cherries, red fruit, cinnamon, cocoa, coffee. Palate: dry, full-bodied, high acidity, vivid tannins. Notes of cocoa and licorice. Medium-long finish. Rating: 3/5 15€ find this wine.
My personal flop was the Caprili Brunello. I tried it at a wine tasting with a representative of the winery. I think the Brunello was spoiled but the wine was served to us anyways. At that price there are many better Brunello available. Choosing the highlight among these wines is a tough choice: The Tedeschi Recioto and the Planeta Passito are both outstanding but I enjoyed the Passito a little more. However, my highlight of the month is the 1999 Schloss Saarstein Riesling Auslese. What is your highlight of the month?
Have you tried any of these wines? Which one would you like to try? Let me know in the comment section below.