Wine Guide: Abruzzo

The Southern-Western Italian region Abruzzo covers the Apennines mountains while still bordering the Mediterranean See. Its geographic region has a huge impact on the local climate which greatly effects the wine Abruzzo wine production.

Abruzzo is a large grape producer but a large portion of the produced wine gets shipped to France and Northern Italy. Often French wines lack complexity, especially after a bad harvest and therefore they get blended with Southern Italian wine (mostly from Abruzzo and in earlier decades also from Puglia).

The region has one DOCG wine and four DOCs. Wine from Abruzzo tends to be rather unknown and hard to find outside of Italy – the only exception to that is the Montepulciano d’Abruzzo DOC.

Important grapes: Montepulciano (red), Pecorino (white), Trebbiano (white)

Don’t confuse the Montepulciano grape with the famous Tuscan town Montepulciano. Vino Nobile di Montepulciano is from Tuscany and is mainly made from Sangiovese grapes. Montepulciano d’Abruzzo is from Abruzzo and produced from Montepulciano grapes.

Important red wines: Below you find a list of Abruzzo red wines. Certain wines will have a hyperlink which will bring to a wine review.

  • Montepulciano d’Abruzzo Colline Teramane DOCG
    Produced in the province of Teramo. Allowed grapes: Montepulciano (at least 90%), Sangiovese (0-10%)
  • Montepulciano d’Abruzzo DOC
    Can be produced in all four Abruzzo region (Chieti, L’Aquila, Pescara and Teramo). Has to be produced with at least 85% Montepulciano grapes. The other 15% can be any red grape grown in Abruzzo. In most cases Montepulciano d’Abruzzo is made from 100% Montepulciano grapes.
    2005 Agriverde – Plateo – Montepulciano d’Abruzzo DOC – In my opinion the best Montepulciano d’Abruzzo.
    2006 Il Feuduccio – Feuduccio – Montepulciano d’Abruzzo DOC
  • Trebbiano d’Abruzzo DOC
    Can be produced in all four Abruzzo region. Grapes permitted: Trebbiano 100%

As mentioned above the Pecorino grape is planted in Abruzzo, too. It is mostly found in IGT Abruzzo blends. An example of a Pecorino IGT Abruzzo would be this wine: 2011 Il Feuduccio – Pecorino – IGT Abruzzo

What you should take from this guide:

  • Abruzzo exports a lot of wine to France and Northern Italy which is used in blend with the local wines.
  • Montepulciano d’Abruzzo is the most famous wine of the region
  • Montepulciano d’Abruzzo ≠ Vino Nobile di Montepulciano.
    The first wine is named after the grape Montepulciano; the second one has its name from the Tuscan town Montepulciano.

For more guides and information on Italian wine visit this site

6 comments on “Wine Guide: Abruzzo”

  1. Ravi Joshi Reply

    I like you blog for lots of information in jest a few words that makes it possible to read it in no time! Particularly the summarising part at the end of blogposts reinforces the knowledge. My appreciation!

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.